Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Patience, Patience

Patience has never been my strong suit. Lack thereof is the sole reason I never became a teacher, although I love kids. When it comes to waiting of any kind, I have close to zero tolerance. I take the first parking space I can find, out in the farthest edge of the parking lot. Being on hold on the phone is extremely irritating to me; thank god for Bluetooth and cell phones that have speakers. Trying to get information or place an order on the Internet is sometimes extremely frustrating; when my computer itself acts up, get out of the way. Rumor has it that I dropped my virtually indestructible Dell laptop, twice, broke the hard plastic case and shattered the screen, but rumors can be deceiving.

After trying to figure out United Airline's Mileage Plus program on the internet for twenty minutes, I gave up and called them. I am not twenty-something, but its not the first time I've used the internet or United's website either. Trying to understand their Mileage Plus program should not be this difficult. The first guy I spoke with (Indian accent, of course) could not explain to me the difference between Saver miles and Standard miles. He repeated the same exact sentence three times, as if he was reading from a manual. My frustration level building, I told him I could hear him just fine, but I needed a different explanation, not the same explanation over and over again, which apparantly he was not capable of doing. He transferred my call to his supervisor (same Indian accent, of course), who spoke even more quickly than the first guy. After repeated tries, during which I asked him to speak more S-L-O-W-L-Y so I could understand his heavily accented English, I finally understood the point he was trying to make in answer to my question. And just to be sure I understood, I asked him for an example. With actual numbers in it, as it payment in numbers of miles. After 45 minutes of trying to figure out their mileage plan, United and I were finally on the same page. It shouldn't be this difficult!!!

I am all frustrated out for the day. I can't take any more frustrating tasks. So, I am going to put my laundry in the dryer and go out for a walk. Booking the actual flight? That's a task for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment