Sunday, January 9, 2011

Once (or Twice) Around the Looney Bin

A young friend of mine has decided to write a book. She has written a humor blog (The Crazy Baby Mama) about being a new Mom for about two years now. She is really a good writer, a very funny writer. So, if the CBM can write a book, I figure, so can I. I have blog. I can write. I'm not intentionally funny, but I think I am a pretty good writer. And, since I do not currently have a job, I have plenty of time on my hands, so why not give it a try, even if my story is never published.

The question is, what would I write about? I am not interested in writing fiction, making up stories and characters and finessing plot twists and turns. Therefore, I would have to write about a subject I know something about, which seriously limits the topics available.

But it does bring to mind a subject I have had recent experience with: severe depression, from a patient's point of view. Not only a patient, but a patient who has been lucky enough to spend some time in a mental health institution, which just may be an oxymoron.

There is just one problem with actually publishing such an book - I might never get a "real" job again once my story gets out. This story is not going to be the crowning jewel on my resume; the corporate world will not be welcoming me back with open arms.

So while I prepare for an accounting job interview tomorrow morning, the possibility of writing my heart out lurks in the back of my mind. But if I don't ace that job interview tomorrow, maybe it won't be such a bad thing after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment