Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Its a Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood

"Its a Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood" was Mr. Rogers theme song. For those of you who don't know or are too young to remember, Mr. Rogers was the host of a popular children's television show for many years. I grew up with Captain Kangaroo, and Mr. Green Jeans, years before Mr. Rogers had a children's television show.

Back when I was growing up, we only had reception for about seven TV channels. (Yes, this was BC, ie, Before Cable). We considered ourselves lucky because we lived just outside of New York City where TV reception was relatively good. At the college I went to, just an hour away, we only got three TV channels, and two of those were fuzzy at best. How times have changed.

I don't know exactly what prompted me to think of the theme song from "Mr. Roger's Neighborhood", except that I am sitting in my living room, looking out the front window, on a sunny afternoon on the first of June, the wind blowing a warm breeze around (that's another song for another day) and the thought just popped into my head. My June flowers are blooming, on right on cue.

Yes, it is a beautiful day in the neighborhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment