Saturday, April 9, 2011

Man Day

My friend Rick posted a note on Facebook that he was "attending" National Man Day. I had never heard of this, so naturally I looked it up online.

National Man Day is something that was started on Facebook by, naturally, a bunch of guys. Basically, its an excuse for men to retreat to their Man Caves, watch sports all day on TV, drink beer, and scratch in places I won't mention. Like most of them don't do this already? Well, I suppose that making it an official "Day" allows them to do whatever they want without their wives or girlfriends nagging them about the lawn that needs mowing or the leak that needs fixing.

I'll give you this: when I went to visit my friend Rick the next day, he was up to his knees in a dirt trench he was digging to replace the sprinkler system in his front yard, not an easy task. My friend Rick is no slouch; he works hard to provide for his family. He fixes things around the house. He is a ham radio buff and loves tinkering with his Camaro. (His man toys.) He deserves some relaxation time as much as anyone does.

Rick told me he thought National Man Day was created because there was a National Women's Day first. So I looked it up online. And he's right. Sort of.

There is an International Women's Day. The 100th anniversary of International Women's Day was celebrated on March 8th. Guess what happens on International Women's Day? A day for women to indulge themselves, buy new shoes, get a facial, a manicure and pedicure? Uh, no.

International Women's Day is celebrated to embrace women's victories in civil rights, gender equality, and leadership around the world. Somehow it doesn't quite sound like the same thing as the male version to me.

Maybe when women actually have equal rights all around the world, we will have the time to indulge in a "Day" for ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment