Monday, May 3, 2010

Trust Your Gut

That is what my good friend Tim Shannon used to tell me when I discussed a problem I was having in my life -- "Trust your gut". I have to admit, I failed to do this on many occasions, and I was usually sorry I didn't follow my friend's advice.

I am by nature a planner, a list maker, a think-about-the-decision-overnight person. No rash decisions for me! Perhaps this quality makes me a good auditor, a level-headed manager, and a diligent accountant. In many aspects of my life, it serves me well. But not this time.

This time I am dealing with emotions, and emotions are not logical or rational. We are human, and we have emotions for a reason. Emotions separate us from lower animals. Emotions evoke empathy and caring, and that is the reason (along with opposable thumbs) that we humans evolved from apes in the first place.

Its taken me years, but I think the lesson has finally "sunk in". This time, I am following Tim's advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment