Friday, March 4, 2011

MY Friends

Within the last two years, two friends in my age bracket (one a few years older, one a few years younger) have dropped dead of heart attacks. Both men. When the first one died, I thought "anomaly". Now, I'm not so sure.

Does this mean I am entering the age when I routinely check the obituaries in the newspaper each morning? By this I mean SERIOUSLY checking the paper with the expectation of seeing the names of MY friends in MY age bracket listed therein. You know, like my dad does.

My dad is 85. When I call him on the phone (not often enough, I'm sure), he is very likely to ask "Oh, did you know so-and-so? Didn't you go to school with one of his/her kids? Well, he/she just died."

My dad has been doing this for years. I just didn't expect to be following in his footsteps quite so soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment