Monday, August 9, 2010

Ripped Out

My heart was ripped out ten years ago, when I received the news that my son was hit by a train. Ripped out and shredded to pieces, and then punched in the gut until I doubled over unable to breathe.

This October 11th will be the tenth anniversary of Sean's death. Sean is almost ten years gone; it does not seem possible. It seems like only yesterday that Sean was a ten year old boy with a twinkle in his blue eyes and mischief on his mind.

And now, as the tenth year anniversary of Sean's death approaches, I am doubly sad. Sad that I have no Tim Shannon to lean on, to help me get through this significant anniversary date. Sad that I won't be able to spend time in the Fremont HS auditorium, as I have done every year for ten years past. Sad that I won't be able to sit in Tim's office during "lunch" and listen to the teenage prattle all around me, like a fly on the wall, listening in to the discussions of everything and anything, and believe me, anything and everything was said.

I miss them both, my 17 year old son with the wry sense of humor, who has been gone such a long time from my life, and Sean's drama teacher, mentor and friend, Tim, who had become my very good friend and support over the past ten years, both of them gone in an instant in the prime of their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment